Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day

April 15th, 2010

Well that was quick. We went from having just a few flowers to having many many flowers and back to having just a few all in less than a month. The April heat wave got the plants all confused and tricked them into blooming way early. We’re now back to weather more like spring, but without many of the flowers we expect for mid-April. Daffodils are pretty much done, tulips are fading, grape hyacinths just have a few florets and lots of seed pods. The next act is warming up though – Lily-of-the-Valley is starting to bloom and I see peony flower buds already.

Here’s what’s in bloom today at Tangled Branches, North and South.

North, Cultivated:

• Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)
  • Muscari, plain species (botryoides and/or armeniacum) and ‘Valerie Finnis’
  • Narcissus ‘Goose Green’
  • Azaleas, ‘Mildred Mae’, ‘Boudoir’, and builder’s screaming fuchsia.

Azalea 'Mildred Mae'

Azalea 'Mildred Mae'

• Vinca minor
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Bleeding Hearts
  • Anemone nemorosa ‘Vestal’ (this has surprised me by doing very well in the dry woods)
  • Anemone appenina
  • Epimedium, ‘Purple Prince’, ‘Lilafee’, ‘Tambotan’
  • Korean Violet (I planted this once and it now turns up in the oddest places)
  • Ipheion ‘Rolf Fiedler’
  • Honesty (Lunaria biennis)
  • Redbud trees (Cercis canadensis)
  • Carex morrowii ‘Ice Dance’
  • Sweet Woodruff (Galium odoratum)
  • Euphorbia amygdaloides var. robbiae

North, Wild:

• Black Haw Viburnum (V. prunifolium)
  • Dogwood (Cornus florida)

South, Cultivated:

• Narcissus, ‘Dottie’s Dream’, ‘Salome’, and some from the Rinus Rim Mixture

Tulip 'Mona Lisa'

Lily-flowered Tulip 'Mona Lisa'

• Tulip, ‘Ballerina’, ‘Mona Lisa’, ‘Tinka’, ‘Cynthia’
  • Pulsatilla, red
  • Viola, various self-sown
  • Dianthus, ‘Rainbow Loveliness’
  • Honesty (Lunaria biennis)

South, Wild:

• Bluets (Houstonia sp.)
  • Field Pansy (Viola arvensis)
  • Native azalea (Rhododendron periclymenoides)
  • Blue Violets (Viola sp.)
  • Narcissus x medioluteus (I wrote a detailed post on this last year that nobody read)
  • and a host of other “weeds”

Some of my previous April 15 blooms are here for comparison: 2009, 2008, 2007

Please visit May Dreams Gardens to see the complete list of GBBD participants and thank Carol for this happy blog camaraderie.

12 Responses to “Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day”

1. I am surprised that you are in zone 6 and seem to be way ahead of us here in Pacific NW zone 8. Lovely photos…so happy to have found you, thanks to Carol.

2. Melody says:

Love that name – screaming fuchsia – lol. I often say that I don’t like azaleas, but what I mean is I don’t like those or the pervasive purple ones. I love native azaleas – they are so intricate.

The builders in our development put in sooooo many of the neon-bright azaleas. Fortunately, the flowers only last a few weeks.

you’ve got lots going on! I’m not a huge tulip fan, but yours are really pretty and very interesting! I love that azalea. The color and markings are really beautiful up close.

T. clusiana has been a happy surprise here. It’s much more delicate-looking than the large hybrids. And it has pretty foliage. And so far, it has increased a little every year.

4. Gail says:

I love living in the middle south! We have so much going on in the earliest spring days~~Thank you so much for allowing your photos to be enlarged…that was a treat! Thank you also for id-ing Narcissus x medioluteus on my post. I think that’s it and I am thrilled to know the name ~~gail now Tulipa Tinka has to join the other in my garden and Rainbow Loveliness is lovely.

Oh, I’m glad that’s the correct ID on the narcissus. It turned out to be such an interesting old plant when I researched it. I like a plant with some history 🙂

5. kate says:

What an incredible selection of blooms you have at this time of year. I love the five-petaled Bluets. They are gorgeous. So are the Ipheion. And I’m totally envious of your first Rainbow loveliness. From what I can see so far, I suspect about three of my plants haven’t returned. I started lots of D. superbus ‘Poem’ as well as ‘Rainbow Loveliness’. Hope they turn out.

I started more seeds of Rainbow Loveliness last year. I just can’t get enough of the beautiful scents. Something I noticed as I scattered them through the garden last year – the ones planted in heavy clay seem happier than those in a drier, sandier area. Those near the vegetable garden don’t even have buds yet, while those next to the house are blooming (and perfuming) profusely. I’ll have to check out ‘Poem’.

I’m also starting lots of Sweet Williams this year, and even a few annual Dianthus.

6. native landscaping says:

Gardening is civil and social, but it wants the vigor and freedom of the forest and the outlaw. – – Henry David Thoreau