It Was Seven Years Ago Today

April 23rd, 2010

…that I began this blog. Looking through the posts from April 2003, it’s a little disheartening to see how many of those plants I no longer have. But, on the other hand, I have other plants that I didn’t have then and a large vegetable garden and a house in the country with woods and meadows to explore. And we still have the suburban house and garden. All of which is keeping me darned busy. However, one advantage (or disadvantage) of having blogged for seven years is that, upon checking my archives, I often find I’ve already written something I was about to write again. So, if you missed it in 2008, this fifth anniversary post still sums up my feelings quite well.

So where do we go from here? Well, I’m trying to simplify my life a bit. For one thing, I’ve resolved to stop trying to create an ornamental garden in the woods in the country. It’s not that I don’t like woodland gardens any more, but I’ve decided the woodland doesn’t need improving. Here’s where I should have read my own blog, because I claimed when we moved here that I was not going to garden in the woods and then proceeded to do just that.

As for Tangled Branches North, I’m seriously considering hiring a landscaping company to rip out everything and install a standard normal (boring) suburban landscape in the front and sides of the lot. One which can be maintained a few times a year by any crew of guys with power tools and a truck full of mulch. I think it would actually make the house more salable if and when we try to sell it.

Other than that, things will continue pretty much as usual around the old blog here. I’m spending a lot of time in the vegetable garden, but not blogging about it. Got lots of seedlings started, but haven’t blogged about that either. And I’d really like to do a post about green garlic. I asked last year if anybody was interested in reading about that, but it only got 2 votes so I didn’t do it.

12 Responses to “It Was Seven Years Ago Today”

1. kate says:

I’m interested in knowing about green garlic. I hope you will consider writing about it. It is incredible that you have been blogging for seven years. I guess reading back is a way to discover what you’ve accomplished (or not) and how the garden has changed. I’d be interesting in reading about the veggie garden since you are spending more time in it.

Happy Seventh Blog Anniversary! That is a major feat.

Thanks!

Yay, another vote for green garlic. I’ll try to get something written soon, or check my drafts in blogger, because I think I started writing and then stopped.

But as long as I keep trying new things I should have something new to write. ;-)

2. marci says:

I so identify with that ambivalence about the wild garden. To alter
    or not to alter? Ive gone back & forth on it for 14 years.

These days I mostly just move natives around from time to time–
    move a witch hazel or spicebush or sumac to where I might see them
    more easily on my woodswalk loop, maybe concentrate 3 or 4 kalmia in
    same general area. Of course, to do even this much requires a full day
    hacking back the catsclaw, PI,

Re the occasional repeats in seven years–more of the same will be
    just fine!

Marci (Crozet)

Uh oh, I have more years of indecision ahead of me?

I also have trouble digging up the meadow to plant vegetables, but I really want the vegetables. I’ve tried to save a few unusual plants there when I come across them (Rhexia sp.).

I keep coming across this idea in my reading – that of just pruning and moving the wild plants – rather than imposing on the woods with purchased garden plants. And we’re so lucky here in Virginia to have so many beautiful native plants.

3. Gail says:

I thought you must be a long time blogger when I first stumbled upon your blog~and I enjoyed your 2006 post on the move~It’s a sad truth, but you are probably right about a house selling with a suburban landscape and not a garden. I want to hear about green garlic, too…gail

Rolling right along with the green garlic votes! I found the draft post in blogger that I started over a year ago.

I’ve been moving some plants from the northern house to the southern house, but taking an ever more critical attitude about what’s worth keeping and what isn’t.

4. Entangled,

Congrats on the anniversary and on discovering ways to make your life easier.

Thanks. I’m thinking of starting a simplicity blog instead ;-) Just as soon as I figure out how to do it ;-) (simplicity, that is)

5. Happy blogoversary…all 7 yrs of them! I’m not even sure if I’d heard of garden blogs back in 2003–most likely I hadn’t. I think you were one of the first people who welcomed me though. In suburbia, at least the front yard needs to be fairly ‘standard’–and I suppose even the backyard, when it comes time to sell. Too many people are turned off by what they perceive as work they don’t want to do. Sad, but true. I’m doing veggies in pots on my deck & haven’t blogged about that, and about a lot of other things as well. Sometimes I just don’t feel like writing a post, even with lots of garden stuff going on. I just take it a day at a time and post when my mood leads me to it…

Thanks Jan! Believe it or not, I began blogging on a whim one afternoon after reading about blogspot in the newspaper.

Those are my thoughts exactly about prospective buyers not wanting to do work.

I ought to write something someday about the history of Tangled Branches North. When the house was new 25 years ago, some of the developers were still preserving the trees instead of bulldozing everything as they do now. So the entire back”yard” of every house on our street was just natural woodland for the first 10 or so years we lived here. I loved it. But over time, as the original neighbors sold and new people moved in, the character of the place changed. Well, it’s too long a story to write here, but the upshot is that we do need to change the look if we want to sell.

7 years ago??!! Were you one of the crazy pioneer bloggers?!

Must be nice to have a log that you can refer back to and learn what your priorites were and how your tastes and focuses have changed over time. Happy blogiversary!

Thanks!

A few years ago, Kathy Purdy hosted a series of interviews of the earliest garden bloggers she knew of – I just missed her cut-off date.

I think I’m afraid to look too closely at how my tastes have changed – I’ll find out just how fickle I really am ;-)