Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day

June 15th, 2010

This Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day is going to be a 3-day feast. This is partly because there are so many June flowers and partly because I can’t seem to concentrate long enough to write up complete lists for both Tangled Branches South and Tangled Branches North and partly because I want to include the meadow wildflowers. So without further ado, here is the list of cultivated flowers in bloom today at Tangled Branches South.

Bat-faced Cuphea

Cuphea llavea - a hummingbird magnet

• Bat-faced Cuphea (Cuphea llavea)
  • Zinnia ‘Crystal White’
  • Salvia splendens ‘Vista Purple’
  • Angelonia ‘Angel Mist Lavender’ and a similar one
  • Lantana ‘Dallas Red’
  • Viola ‘Bowles’ Black’ and some undetermined volunteers
  • Red-Hot Poker (Kniphofia ‘Alcazar’)
  • Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
  • Coreopsis verticillata ‘Zagreb’
  • English Broadleaf Thyme
  • Lavender ‘Munstead’ and ‘Grosso’
  • Nepeta transcaucasica ‘Blue Infinity’
  • Verbena hastata ‘Pink Spires’
  • Verbena bonariensis
  • Purple Amaranth (‘Marvel Bronze’?, self-sown)
  • Agastache foeniculum, both the plain species and yellow-leaved ‘Golden Jubilee’
  • Stokesia laevia ‘Purple Parasols’
  • Phlox carolina ‘Miss Lingard’
  • Balloon Flower (Platycodon mariesii)
  • Salvia ‘May Night’
  • Petunia ‘Old Fashioned Vining’
  • Alyssum ‘Easter Basket’
  • Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)
  • Zinnia ‘Carousel Mix’
  • Cosmos ‘Memories of Mona’
  • Germander (Teucrium chamaedrys)
  • Oenothera missouriensis
  • Vegetables! (Beans, Tomatoes, Peppers, Potatoes)

Please visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens for the complete list of Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day participants, and come back here tomorrow for the list of bloomers at Tangled Branches North.

10 Responses to “Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day”

1. Nicole says:

That carousel mix Zinnia is lovely. You have a “bloomfest”!

The zinnias are just getting started. I’m hoping for lots of interesting bicolors from Carousel Mix.

2. Love the Cuphea llavea colors – need to try that in my garden – also need to get out and sprinkle some Cosmos seeds!

3. I’m totally smitten with the cuphea! And I love the cosmos, too. But the potato really interests me… I’ve never grown them, so I don’t know how they work. Are you supposed to let them flower?

I don’t think letting the potatoes flower has any negative effect on tuber formation. I read somewhere that when they start to bloom, the tubers are starting to form, so I’m going to dig around for new potatoes soon (goes good with new garlic!). There’s no comparison between a really fresh potato and those in the supermarket.

4. Sylvana says:

I just think potato flowers are so pretty.
    I also like your Angelonia, Lantana, Zinnia mix.

5. Melody says:

Stoke’s Asters are some of my favorite flowers. I have several varieties and let them reseed. Now I have them in all shades of purple and pinkish purple.

Oh, I wasn’t aware that it’s a self-sower. This is only my second year with it, but the plant and I are both happy so far.