Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day

March 15th, 2011

… Cheater’s Edition …

Is it cheating if I buy plants in bloom and put them in the garden two days before Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day? I kind of feel like it is, but let me explain. A couple weeks ago, I drove down to Pine Knot Farms annual open house to see and buy some choice hellebores in bloom. I came home with four plants, only three of them hellebores, but didn’t feel like the weather was settled enough to set them out yet. Last Saturday was a gloriously warm day (72F) and it just seemed like the right time to plant. Into the garden they went.

Helleborus x hybridus 'WD Elegance White'

Helleborus x hybridus 'WD Elegance White'

Usually, I prefer single flowers to double, but for some reason the double hellebores appeal to me. This is ‘Winter Dreams Elegance White’, one of a series. I love the dark hellebores, but they just don’t show up very well in the woodland garden, so I made sure to choose a light color. One of my gripes about hellebores is the nodding flowers. This is how it really looks in the garden.

Helleborus x hybridus 'WD Elegance White'

Helleborus x hybridus 'WD Elegance White'

Then, hoping for even earlier flowers, I bought a Christmas Rose – Helleborus niger. It’s supposed to be Wilder strain, but when the flower bud opened I could see that it isn’t.

Helleborus niger

Helleborus niger (not 'Wilder Strain')

I also bought Cyclamen coum (from one of the other vendors they invited?). I’ve been thinking about adding that to the garden for a while, but this magenta flower sold me.

Cyclamen coum

Cyclamen coum

The other hellebore I bought isn’t blooming, but for the record, it’s H. foetidus ‘Red Silver’.

OK, on to the established plants. Hmm, all bulbs.

Narcissus 'Tete-a-Tete'

Narcissus 'Tete-a-Tete'

Crocus vernus 'Twilight'

Crocus vernus 'Twilight'. This is how they look in the morning before the flowers open.

Scilla siberica 'Spring Beauty'

Scilla siberica 'Spring Beauty'. They really do have larger flowers than the plain species.

Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant'

Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant' (Really rather small)

Just beginning:

• Chionodoxa sardensis

Just finishing:

• Narcissus ‘Rijnveld’s Early Sensation’
  • Galanthus nivalis

Come and gone between Bloom Days:

• Iris reticulata ‘Gordon’
  • Crocus sieberii ‘Tricolor’

So there’s another Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day. Off to see what else is in bloom around the world…

12 Responses to “Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day”

1. Hanni says:

Hahaha, thanks for sharing your blooms, even if they are just recently planted! They are still beautiful. :)

2. webb says:

Pine Knot Farms is the best. We bought flats of one-year old plants from them years ago (don’t think they sell them anymore) and just put them any old place around a maple tree. Now we have the largest collection of hellebores in Central Virginia – at least it seems like that! All healthy, happy and unnamed. i suspect they cross pollinate by now. But we love them. Hope yours will do as well!

Some years ago in another garden, I planted 5 teeny tiny hellebores from Pine Knot, but sold through a third party (Wayside Gardens? can’t remember). It took them a couple years to bloom and they turned out to be various colors and flower forms, but I liked all of them. I planted them too close to some rhododendrons (which were small when I planted them) and they got swallowed up. I should try to rescue them, but I keep reading that hellebores are hard to transplant.

3. gail says:

yes, it’s okay! Especially a beauty like the Pine Knot Farms hellebore! I am on a double kick right now! I wish they were upright, but, the new uprights aren’t as dazzling. I transplant mine all the time! Just moved three Eric Smithii~Ivory Prince. They are happy and so am I! gail

Great! I will move them ASAP.

And I just happened to think that the nodding flowers might be more weatherproof? I can imagine those pretty fluted petals (tepals, whatever) filling with rainwater and flopping over. Besides I can always cut them and enjoy indoors.

4. Charles M says:

I nominated my Azalea bonsais for bloom day — but the African daisies in the garden are going pretty well, and I even noticed a flower bud on my Tanyosho Pomegranate. I think I’ll make the Tanyosho a wishing tree for the people of Japan, and put a prayer for them on it.

I’ve long admired bonsai, but don’t have the patience and dedication needed to learn it properly. Maybe when I retire…..

I’m glad you mentioned the wishing tree, and I think I’ll do the same (except I have no lovely pomegranate – will have to find something else suitable).

5. Tyra says:

Hi there, long time – no see! Thank you for your comment on my Gin/Iris post. Yes, it certainly a great thing about blogging, one actually learn something new every day. I see that spring has sprung in your garden, it looks really great. I only have three snowdrops but still I’m so delighted over them ;-)

I wish you a great weekend/ Tyra

6. commonweeder says:

I think they count. We have to take every blossom we can. I am hoping to have hellebores next year. I have done without long enough. Your blog is really beautiful.

7. Really beautiful colors in those crocus, cyclamen & Scilla, Entangled. But the white Hellebore doesn’t need to be colorful – it’s gorgeus!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

And still blooming! I have high hopes for the hellebore to settle in and welcome spring for years to come.