The Sea, and Peas

May 28th, 2011

We shirked our garden and other responsibilities this week and drove down to the Outer Banks instead.
But vacations are not permanent {sigh}, so we returned yesterday afternoon to real life…and peas in the garden.

Peas 'Precoville'

Peas 'Precoville'. First peas of the year.

I cooked this first handful of peas very simply, as follows.

1. Shell and steam the peas for a few minutes.
  2. Add lots of melted butter.

That’s it. They were very sweet and tender and I will definitely grow this variety (Petit Pois ‘Precoville’) again.

The next handful of peas I pick will get a little sprinkle of salt too. And the next handful might get some chopped mint or chives. And the next handful? We’ll see.

We also picked a handful of ‘Mara des Bois’ strawberries, but ants had chewed holes in about half of them. Nevertheless, we ate the good ones and they were very ripe and very fragrant.

This is a very short post for the Garden-to-Table Challenge at Greenish Thumb, but also a genuine record of this week’s minimal cooking from the garden.

Oh, and the ‘Black Gamecock’ Louisiana irises are in bloom for the first time. Pictures later.

8 Responses to “The Sea, and Peas”

THose peas are gorgeous. I’m embarassed to admit that I have never had fresh peas before! I’m so turned off by what I have had, but I’m sure they would not compare to fresh peas…

This was the first year in many that I’ve grown them. Last time I grew peas I didn’t like them at all, but I think I chose a bad variety that time.
      We like Trader Joe’s frozen Petit Pois too, but it seems to me they aren’t as petit as they used to be. I’m still trying to figure out at what stage to pick them so they’re filled out, but still petit.

2. Oooohhh so jealous!! I love love love fresh shelled peas!! Congrats!

Thanks, I’m really happy with these peas. We had them again for lunch yesterday.

3. Diana says:

Hope we start to harvest peas this week too and we will be preparing the peas this way too.

I was thinking of planting them later this summer as a fall crop, but I didn’t know whether I would be successful. If they grow in Adelaide in the fall, they should grow here!

4. mangocheeks says:

So jealous of your fresh peas. I don’t have much room, but am growing some peas only for the shoots to enjoy in a salad dish.

I thought about snipping some of the shoots in early spring, but only thought about it and didn’t do it. Next year!