Lazy Afternoon with Butterflies

June 7th, 2011

Last week I started to compose a post about recent butterfly visitors to the garden but decided it was really lame compared to this video. We have an abundance of butterflies now that the nectar plants are in bloom. Monarda menthifolia (also goes by the name of Monarda fistulosa ssp. fistulosa var. menthifolia) wins the prize for best butterfly plant this year. I grew them from seed last year – they made attractive clumps but no flowers last year – and now, well, just watch the video. I saw even more butterflies there after I took the video – there were 5 or 6 Great Spangled Fritillaries at once. They’re the largish orange butterflies in the video. The two other large butterflies are Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (the yellow one) and Spicebush Swallowtail (the black one). The mangy-looking bronze fennel in the first part of the video has been all but devoured by Black Swallowtail caterpillars. Usually they prefer the rue next to it.

10 Responses to “Lazy Afternoon with Butterflies”

1. gail says:

A butterfly magnet for certain! Loved it! gail

2. I loved your video, Entangled – sound, motion, color – it’s beautiful! Thank you.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Thank you for the compliment, Annie! I’m planning (hoping) to add some bird and dragonfly videos to the mix.

3. mrbrownthumb says:

What a cool video! I hope you do add more bug videos to the mix!

4. Nell Jean says:

Fun video. You never know who will turn up when you provide nectar. Found you on Blotanical.

Thanks. I was surprised that the butterflies almost ignored the Verbena bonariensis nearby in favor of the Monarda.

Haven’t signed on to Blotanical in ages – I guess I should go over and freshen up my account over there.

5. What a great video! I started a bunch of monarda seeds this winter. The plants are still tiny but just you wait next year! Maybe I’ll have some visitors to the garden like you.

6. Ginny says:

Love the video. I have monardo in bloom but no butterflies yet – just bees. Lots and lots of bees. I hope the butterflies arrive soon!