Tangled Branches: Satiated
riveting tales of how we sustain ourselves
Saturday, July 16, 2005
Super Simple Thai Curry
Last night I made a very simple Thai red curry. This is how I did it. (Disclaimer: I've never used any of the online vendors I've linked to here; they're just for illustration purposes, but the products are the same brands I used.)
- Simmer 1 cup of coconut milk with approximately 2 tablespoons Maesri Red Curry Paste for 2 minutes.
- Add about 3/4 lb. frozen (and partially defrosted) shelled shrimp. Simmer another 2 minutes.
- Add julienned bamboo shoots (amount about equal in volume to the shrimp), fish sauce and sugar to taste (say, 2 tbsp each of fish sauce and sugar).
- Add another cup of coconut milk, and some kaffir lime leaves (3 double leaves) cut into chiffonade.
- Bring just to boiling after the last addition of ingredients, and serve over jasmine rice.
I also improvised a salad of cherry tomatoes, a small amount of chopped mint (couple of leaves), and pinches of sugar, salt, and white pepper to taste. The cherry tomatoes are ripening fast now.